Supreme Court again rejects Trump's bid to overturn E Jean Carroll sex abuse case
For a second time, the US Supreme Court has declined President Donald Trump's bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carrolโฆ
For a second time, the US Supreme Court has declined President Donald Trump's bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carroll.
In June, the top court had already denied a prior attempt by Trump to review the civil case.
The president has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and argued that the judge who oversaw the civil trial improperly allowed evidence to be presented that affected the jury's perceptions of him.
In July, he paid Carroll more than $5m (รยฃ3.6m) in damages over her civil claim that Trump sexually assaulted her in the 1990s, and then branded the incident a hoax on social media.
"We are pleased that the United States Supreme Court has declined again to hear this case," Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said in a statement following the decision.
"As a result, the jury's unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court," she added.
The court's decision was posted as part of an order list on Monday, but offered no explanation for why the justices declined to rehear the case.
Legal experts said that Trump's request to reconsider its previous June rejection was an unusual long-shot legal manoeuver, as the court rarely grants similar requests.
Read Full Story at BBC World News โ


