Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges
A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city. Lee Cheโฆ
A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.
Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of โincitement to subversionโ for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijingโs deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.
The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.
Prosecutors argued that the pair โendanger[ed] national security in the name of human rightsโ.
Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.
Fridayโs verdict was โno surpriseโ, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.
Hong Kongโs โtwistedโ judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as โtrue Chinese patriotsโ who were silenced because they โspoke truth to powerโ and โheld up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Partyโ.
For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.
Read Full Story at Al Jazeera โ


